Author Topic: Metal detector fan unearths 5,000 Anglo-Saxon coins in Buckinghamshire field  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Tascio

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Metal detecting and metal detector guy
    • Metal Detecting, Metal Detectors, Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting
http://www.getbucks.co.uk/news/local-news/metal-detector-fan-unearths-5000-8373410

A metal detector fan has told how he found an amazing £1million hoard of coins near Aylesbury.

Paul Coleman, 59, almost stayed at home because he could barely afford to fill up his car to go on the dig.

But hours later he unearthed more than 5,000 Anglo-Saxon silver coins – one of the biggest finds ever made in Britain - buried inside a lead bucket two feet under a field.

Experts believe the hoard may have been buried after the Battle of Hastings to protect it from the Norman invaders.

Mr Coleman will split the money from his find with the landowner farmer.

He made the discovery just before Christmas and his present to wife Christine, 53, was a pledge to buy a new house.

The dad-of-two said: “I wasn’t going to go to the dig because it would have cost too much in petrol – nearly £45.

“But I managed to persuade a friend and my son to come and share the costs.

“I found a piece of lead and thought it was junk. But then I looked back in the hole and saw one shiny coin. Then I lifted a larger piece of lead and saw row upon row of coins stacked neatly.

“By that point the excitement had built up and I was grinning from ear to ear.

“I recently borrowed a little bit extra on the mortgage just to tide me over. But this find means I will never have to work again – it’s a massive weight off my mind.

“I’m definitely going to give some of the money away. It’s an unwritten agreement between metal detectors that if you are with mates and you get lucky then you sort them out.

“And I’m definitely going to keep on metal detecting. I have never done it for the money, it’s for the love.”

Mr Coleman made his find on December 21 at a dig organised by the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club. Around 100 enthusiasts had turned up to search farmland near Aylesbury.

The 5,251 coins, many from the reigns of Ethelred the Unready (978-1016) and King Canute (1016-1035), were in a lead box buried two feet underground.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:00:31 PM by Tascio »